Saints-Pères Paris Institute for the Neurosciences (SPPIN) - CNRS UMR 8003
Université Paris Descartes
45 Rue des Saints Pères
75270 Paris Cedex 06
Fax : +33 1 42 86 38 20
My main focus of research is the workings of the motor system and how the normal motor function is affected in pathological conditions. In particular, I am studying how alterations in the functioning of spinal networks can lead to the degeneration of spinal motor neurons in ALS. I have spent nearly fifteen year mastering the techniques of electrophysiology to study the motor system and its pathologies. I have extensive experience in electrophysiology techniques including in vitro recordings, in vivo recordings in cats and in vivo recordings in mice. I started my own lab upon my recruitment at the CNRS in October 2012. As PI or co-Investigator on several externally-funded projects (including by the NIH), I successfully administered previous projects, including budgeting, training of students and post-docs, data acquisition and analysis and writing of articles. I have fostered successful collaborations with local and international teams (including CJ Heckman’s team at Northwestern University).
- Molecular and electrophysiological properties of mouse motoneuron and motor unit subtypes
Manuel M, Zytnicki D : Current Opinion in Physiology, 2019
- Scaling of Motor Output, From Mouse to Humans.
Manuel M, Chardon M, Tysseling V, Heckman CJ : Physiology (Bethesda), 2019
- Hypoexcitability precedes denervation in the large fast-contracting motor units in two unrelated mouse models of ALS.
Martínez-Silva ML, Imhoff-Manuel RD, Sharma A, Heckman CJ, Shneider NA, Roselli F, Zytnicki D, Manuel M : Elife, 2018
- Liver X Receptor exerts a protective effect against the oxidative stress in the peripheral nerve.
Hichor M, Sundaram VK, Eid SA, Abdel-Rassoul R, Petit PX, Borderie D, Bastin J, Eid AA, Manuel M, Grenier J, Massaad C : Sci Rep, 2018
- Kv1.2 Channels Promote Nonlinear Spiking Motoneurons for Powering Up Locomotion.
Bos R, Harris-Warrick RM, Brocard C, Demianenko LE, Manuel M, Zytnicki D, Korogod SM, Brocard F : Cell Rep, 2018
- Constitutive activity of 5-HT receptors is present after incomplete spinal cord injury but is not modified after chronic SSRI or baclofen treatment.
Tysseling VM, Klein DA, Imhoff-Manuel R, Manuel M, Heckman CJ, Tresch MC : J Neurophysiol, 2017
- PICs in motoneurons do not scale with the size of the animal: a possible mechanism for faster speed of muscle contraction in smaller species.
Huh S, Siripuram R, Lee RH, Turkin VV, O\\’Neill D, Hamm TM, Heckman CJ, Manuel M : J Neurophysiol, 2017
- Decerebrate mouse model for studies of the spinal cord circuits.
Meehan CF, Mayr KA, Manuel M, Nakanishi ST, Whelan PJ : Nat Protoc, 2017
- Absence of UCHL 1 function leads to selective motor neuropathy.
Genç B, Jara JH, Schultz MC, Manuel M, Stanford MJ, Gautam M, Klessner JL, Sekerkova G, Heller DB, Cox GA, Heckman CJ, DiDonato CJ, Özdinler PH : Ann Clin Transl Neurol, 2016
- MuSK frizzled-like domain is critical for mammalian neuromuscular junction formation and maintenance.
Messéant J, Dobbertin A, Girard E, Delers P, Manuel M, Mangione F, Schmitt A, Le Denmat D, Molgó J, Zytnicki D, Schaeffer L, Legay C, Strochlic L : J Neurosci, 2015
- Adult spinal motoneurones are not hyperexcitable in a mouse model of inherited amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
Delestrée N, Manuel M, Iglesias C, Elbasiouny SM, Heckman CJ, Zytnicki D : J Physiol, 2014
- The dendritic location of the L-type current and its deactivation by the somatic AHP current both contribute to firing bistability in motoneurons
Manuel M, Zytnicki D, Meunier C : Front Comput Neurosci, 2014
- Characterization of motor units in behaving adult mice shows a wide primary range
Ritter LK, Tresch MC, Heckman CJ, Manuel M, Tysseling VM : J Neurophysiol, 2014
- Push-pull control of motor output
Johnson MD, Hyngstrom AS, Manuel M, Heckman CJ : J Neurosci, 2012
- NMDA induces persistent inward and outward currents that cause rhythmic bursting in adult rodent motoneurons
Manuel M, Li Y, Elbasiouny SM, Murray K, Griener A, Heckman CJ, Bennett DJ : J Neurophysiol, 2012
- Simultaneous intracellular recording of a lumbar motoneuron and the force produced by its motor unit in the adult mouse in vivo
Manuel M, Heckman CJ : J Vis Exp, 2012
- Mixed mode oscillations in mouse spinal motoneurons arise from a low excitability state.
Iglesias C, Meunier C, Manuel M, Timofeeva Y, Delestrée N, Zytnicki D : J Neurosci, 2011
- Stronger is not always better: could a bodybuilding dietary supplement lead to ALS?
Manuel M, Heckman CJ : Exp Neurol, 2011
- Extra forces evoked during electrical stimulation of the muscle or its nerve are generated and modulated by a length-dependent intrinsic property of muscle in humans and cats
Frigon A, Thompson CK, Johnson MD, Manuel M, Hornby TG, Heckman CJ : J Neurosci, 2011
- Alpha, beta and gamma motoneurons: functional diversity in the motor system’s final pathway
Manuel M, Zytnicki D : J Integr Neurosci, 2011
- Adult mouse motor units develop almost all of their force in the subprimary range: a new all-or-none strategy for force recruitment?
Manuel M, Heckman CJ : J Neurosci, 2011
- Fast kinetics, high-frequency oscillations, and subprimary firing range in adult mouse spinal motoneurons.
Manuel M, Iglesias C, Donnet M, Leroy F, Heckman CJ, Zytnicki D : J Neurosci, 2009
- Resonant or not, two amplification modes of proprioceptive inputs by persistent inward currents in spinal motoneurons.
Manuel M, Meunier C, Donnet M, Zytnicki D : J Neurosci, 2007
- The afterhyperpolarization conductance exerts the same control over the gain and variability of motoneurone firing in anaesthetized cats.
Manuel M, Meunier C, Donnet M, Zytnicki D : J Physiol, 2006
- How much afterhyperpolarization conductance is recruited by an action potential? A dynamic-clamp study in cat lumbar motoneurons.
Manuel M, Meunier C, Donnet M, Zytnicki D : J Neurosci, 2005